Good Times

Embracing Your 'Rubber-Arm'

Friday, September 26, 2008

My Darling Sam,

Firstly, welcome to Rhodes! You don't realize this now but this next year is going to be the craziest, most exciting roller-coaster ride of your life! You have the most fantastic Residence with friends that turn your world upside down and inside out. University is a time of your life where you'll learn who you are and who you want to be. The only learning institution you know right now is St. Mary's school for girls- you'll soon realize how protected your life has been so far and that you'll uncover the path to discovering who you are without the influence of your school friends . Rhodes may be situated in a small town a long drive from most cities but Rhodes will show you the world, it's up to you to take full advantage while you are here.

If there's one thing I can pass on that I wish I was told when I started, that is to have a rubber arm! This is your first year away from home and the novelty of independence is rife. You'll face decisions that normally would be completely out of the question at home such as, going out and drinking during the week, watching movies on your computer until the early hours of the morning, going to lectures with a throbbing hangover and pulling 'all-nighters' learning for tests you've most likely grossly under-prepared for! My advice to you is never back down. Work hard and play harder! Go out and have fun at every opportunity, make memories with your friends that you'll never forget, explore things you've never tried, play hockey, tennis and any other sport you've wanted to play. If there was one year in your life to completely break the barriers it would be now. Have a rubber arm and fully embrace everything there is to Rhodes because I know there's an inner 'wild child' in you and I know that what you're about to experience will rock your world! So never back down from an experience because how often do you hear people comment that their fondest memories at university was the quality of their work?
Have this year and embrace.

All my love,
Samantha

1 comments:

Mister Drunk said...

Dear Sam,

I agree with you – It’s so great to hear from someone with a similar outlook on Rhodes life – I honestly enjoyed reading your post! The way you address the idea of embracing every opportunity you get, is exactly what I was trying to put across through my blog. Your blog looks really great (somewhat girly, but it’s still really really cool!) and was very attractive – when I was going through them I just couldn’t help reading yours. After reading your post, I see that maybe my idea on surviving first year is not an impossible one, but that its shared by other people too – watching DC until ridiculous hours of the morning, partying the day before lectures, pulling all-nighters, I love the way you describe all these things I can relate to so easily!

Looking forward to reading more from you!
Check you at rat!
Nev

http://livingsotallytober.blogspot.com/