Good Times

I Will Tell You My Story

Friday, September 26, 2008

Hey Dan

I heard that you’re coming to Rhodes this year; you must be nervous about O-Week and moving into res. I will tell you my story. Excitement, fear and anticipation were what I felt as I drove all the way up the hill to my new home. I saw my fellow first years, all looking pale from the night before, walking ghostly past me as I entered my residence: Centenary House. The experience was frightening because I knew I was going to have to say goodbye to my family in a few hours. Residence- life was going to become like home-life and I couldn’t understand how I was going to cope. To ease this experience I should have know a few things. I’ll tell you what I wished I had known. Your res-mates will become some of your best friends who you can count on through thick and thin. You will be exposed to cultures far beyond your own. Your previous conception of partying will be changed forever, when you meet your first real Rhodent at the Rat. Residence life will lead you to use legendary terms and to learn about how to survive your first year at University. Terms like naps, pre-drinks, average, dawnies and the impervious pull of the one they call DC++, a dangerous sounding drug to you on your first day, but now a good friend who gets you through those times of boredom i.e. Swot week. In order to truly help you through your days in residence, you should know that learning as you go is the best way to experience Rhodes. If I was to map out every aspect of my life now for you, I would ruin it for you. All I can say is that it will be surprising when you will realize that you can cope easily, when you realize that living in residence is not that far from home-life. You don’t need to worry about passing either, because res life not only provides you with some of the best times of your life, but also has a good support structure if you cannot cope academically. The best way you can settle in, is by being chilled when you arrive and not focusing too much on leaving your parents. Remember every other first year is feeling exactly the same as you.

Cheers Mate…

4 comments:

Dan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan said...

Hey

I really feel that you hit the nail on the head with your post. It really was an unnerving experience knowing that a residence will be your home for the next few years. But as you said, it all fits into place as the year goes by. The foreign terms become second language to you, and what was previously a nervous itch about whether or not you'll cope, is now just a memory. Friends, even the ones who seem like complete nutcases in the beginning, are just as you say: mates for life. Nice one, your post certainly had some relevance to myself, and many others I'm sure.

Crazy Dan

Leanne said...

I really enjoyed reading this letter because it relates to many first years entering Rhodes and the words used are a definite reflection on what first years are exposed to and definitely explains the words that we all come to be familiar with eventually. I like the hint of humour as well because it adds to the story and prevents boredom while reading. I agree with the res-mates becoming your best friends as I included that in my letter too and I think that the friend topic is a very important aspect. The mention of the Rat was also mentioned in my letter and the fact that you will find a friend there as the Rat and Parrot is one of the usual spots for socializing and meeting new friends. It is really a positive and very encouraging letter. So I think that this letter is great and very entertaining.

From: Leanne
http://4burstbubbles.blogspot.com/2008/09/to-little-me.html

Kaz said...

I think that all new University students are all very overwhelmed with emotions such as excitement, anticipation but also fear. It is a very daunting feeling knowing that you are far away from home and have to start a new life for yourself with certain responsibilities that are expected of you. Surprisingly we adjust quite well and although it is hard to initially find a balance between work and social, it is eventually achieved. It is very true that the people at your University residence become your family away from home as my friends that I live with are definitely my support. You meet some of the most incredible people at Varsity and continue to learn new things (and terms) every day.
P.s DC++ is definitely a “drug” that I’m also guilty of consuming on a daily basis!
From Kaz (http://bungeemylife.blogspot.com/)