Good Times

Do you really think I am a snob?

Friday, October 17, 2008

Does coming to Rhodes University really turn one into a snob? And why is that the assumption? Is it because Grahamstown is such an ‘English’ town and speaking this universal language is the only way we can all understand one another? Is it really such a bad thing? Well seeing as I have been called a snob way before coming to Rhodes, I would assume that my being here has added more points towards my qualification. If I had to receive a credit for all the times I have been referred to or labelled a snob I would probably have an honours degree in Snobbism.

I have asked myself this question many times ‘Why do people think that of me?’ and I still do not have a concrete answer. Is it because I come from a township in Soweto called Dobsonville, is it because in the last of five siblings? Or could it be because at home when I do my chores I scrub the floor on my knees with a ‘skrop-lapa’ (a piece of cloth used for wiping dirt) instead of a floorwiz pro and that even though I may not be the best cook, I am still expected to prepare dinner a few times a week? No, it is probably because I do not speak English with a Black South African accent and because I have attended ‘Model C’ schools for the past eight years of my life.

Since arriving at Rhodes I do not think I have changed much because I am still labelled a snob, but I guess I should feel better seeing that the labellers are my very own friends rather than some random strangers right? Why does coming to Rhodes turn one into a snob? Being a qualified snob I would say that being here does nothing for us snobs, Firstly: we have to walk EVERYWHERE and walking is so not what snobs do, Secondly: we have to eat crappy dining hall food like EVERYDAY, *sigh* Thirdly: this place like only has like two ‘clubs’ and a pub, talk about being spoilt for choice. And lastly town is only one street long, high street and all the high fashion stores seem to have been moved downtown because I have not seen any and I would not be caught dead shopping downtown.

Being labelled a snob has its perks though, because it means that other people recognise that I am not just another random girl. They see me as someone who has high standards and morals and also as someone who respects her space and does not mingle with just anyone, why else would I keep my distances from them? It is also good that I am here at Rhodes because it means that I will meet my future husband and he will respect my standards and morals and will live up to them because being attracted to girls like me requires such. Because it is assumed that Rhodes turns one into a snob, I will have a lot more friends who are just like me, we will all be one big group of snobs and share our rich knowledge and experiences because I would assume that they would just as qualified as I am in Snobbism.

If coming to Rhodes will turn one into a snob then I have made the right choice in choosing this institution as the place where I plan to spend the next four academic years of my life. When I graduate and leave Rhodes University not only will I walk away with a Bachelor of Journalism but with a PhD in Snobbism as well.

1 comments:

g-baby said...

Reading this article and spending a lot of time with the author has definitely helped me redefine the word. Everytime i was called a snob i felt offended but now i think 'Like, Don't Like hate me, coz u aint me!!!' Its okay to have standards and a little class.