Good Times

Rollin'

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

This is how I roll…

Grab a tissue because my section of this blog is all about issues my friend. Okay, I know that is possibly the lamest remark that I could have made but this is my blog and a lame joke is how I roll. My posts will be dealing with everything to do with sexuality, politics and religion at Rhodes.

There are two different types of first years: Those who came straight from high school and those who took a gap year. I came straight from high school but to be honest my Matric year was much like a gap year. Gap year students that choose to travel often experienced the freedom of experiencing the world through their own eyes and not their parents’. Students that come to University straight from home are usually used to being influenced by their parents especially with regards to religious duties, political opinions and obviously their sexuality. When I came to Rhodes I had already encountered a part of the freedoms that University offers with regards to sexuality, politics and religion. What I had not encountered was the beauty of not having to explain myself. I’m sure that this is the case with many first years all over the world. There is a certain beauty to being able to miss mass on a Sunday and not having anybody looking at you disappointingly across the table at Sunday lunch. I am saying that those of you with definite religious beliefs should start to abandon your duties just because you can. What I am saying is that at University you are able to, for the first time in your life, explore your own beliefs as opposed to simply following the ritual that your parents have set out for you. University is where you become your own person, an individual instead of the product of a family.

I will be following up on each these different aspects of University life in my following blogs so if you are interested in the point of view of someone who has been there and has spoken to many others who have also been there then follow my posts.

All my love and painkillers

Miss Migraine

0 comments: