Good Times

First Years Demand Your Respect!

Thursday, October 16, 2008

This piece is in response to a recent house meeting I attended, in which the only post graduate in the residence addressed the first years in the group. He called us”disgusting first years” and “dirty and inconsiderate” His seemingly harsh statements were aroused by his discovery that someone had stolen his cooler box from the fridge. This targeting of a group, a group of innocent first years is somewhat biased in a residence situation from my point of view. The situation is an example of how first years are targeted before others, and how first years are seen as to blame. Second, third and fourth years believe that they are the ones first years should respect, yet this comes from a deeply entrenched belief that we should “respect our elders”. It raises questions of respect and who everyone is expected to respect.

Grades 8’s are expected to respect their Matrics in school, which is where this cycle begins. I remember believing in this cause, even when I was in Matric. Yet when I came to University, especially Rhodes, which I heard did not believe in initiation, I believed that I would encounter an atmosphere of mutual respect in which age did not matter and where there were no bigoted “elders” thinking that their three more years of experience gives them the right to single out a younger group. I was right to a degree, O Week proved comfortable, yet when it was over and the “elders” returned I faced a turnaround of fortune. The older crews were somewhat cold, seeing the first years as a lesser group in the facets of Rhodes life. They demanded respect; saw themselves as bigger men, it felt like they were doing you a favour when they were being your friend.

The initiation which is still a prevalent aspect at Stellenbosch University is a far more horrifying experience of this culture of respect. Stories range from intense hazing of first years who never talk about their experiences to students even wishing to leave their residences. These things never occur at Rhodes University, yet there is bigotry still prevalent in the residence system. Older students are seen as superior and believe that they should pass on their “culture” to the young, “naïve” first years. In terms of maturity this is a touchy subject, as older students immediately deem themselves as mature men compared to the new blood in the residence. This is a major problem as maturity is largely subjective from my point of view, as a man is only deemed truly mature when he is much older, not when he is in his 20’s. I found that my own perception of maturity was shifted when I came to university; I left home for the first time and have learnt how to fend for myself. Older students need to respect that first years learn how to cope quickly, after O week you are almost settled into life. A student a few years older than you should not be seen as an all wise adult. They are as mature as you, if not less, as it all depends on your definition of true maturity.

From this it can be seen that first years need complete undivided respect. This is a large rock to swallow for older students, yet it is the only resolution to an entrenched culture which is based on false suppositions. Especially ones they call “Post Grads” who believe that they reign over all in terms of wisdom. This system is one I hoped to break out of when I left school, the system of continuous respect of others who do not deserve respect, but unfortunately it is still prevalent in every part of society.

3 comments:

RU a survivor? said...

In your argument you say that older students demand the respect of the First Years because they see themselves as older and as more mature. You also say that they should not demand respect as it is not theirs to demand as they are not so much older. Although I can understand your point of view, I believe there are some flaws in your argument.
First, you are making a horrible generalization in that ‘all’ older students demand that first years respect them. I beg to differ as I know quite a few third year and Hons students who do not hold this view at all. They are friends with me and many other first years and do not demand respect although I give it to them.
You also imply that the older years do not deserve the respect they demand. Although I agree that there are some hopelessly immature post-grads, there are quite a few that deserve respect for their maturity and level of knowledge so while I agree not to give respect where it is demanded, do “give unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar” should ‘he’ deserve it…

Dan said...

I agree that there are some flaws in my argument, as I have based my account on my own personal experiences, yet I feel that I am justified in doing so. I think I should have changed my argument to a "large degree" of older students who feel superior to first years, which I feel you should agree with. In your reply you have also used your own expereinces to justify what you beleive to be the truth, so isn't there a contradiction in doing so...I do agree that honours students may deserve some respect yet they cannot see themselves as adults and cannot treat first years like Matrics treat Grade 8's.

British and Proud said...

As a member of your res and an attendor of that house meeting, I can agree that the generalization of the post-grad was unnecessary, as there was no proof that the theft was the result of a first year. However, there are some points you bring up that I disagree with.

You say that the older guys demand respect. On the contrary, I am friends with a lot of them, and not necessarily just the guys from O-week. I grant you some of them aren't that friendly, but that's because they're unfriendly in general! There are a few first year guys that I don't get along with, and the first years of next year won't either, just because they are difficult people to get along with.

I believe that when you go to university, you are a given a clean slate by which to work on. Irrelevant of age or university year, people tend to be open and impartial to anything that comes their way, and the friendly atmosphere that I believe does occur in Centenary House, is a reflection of that. When it comes to approaching the first years of next year, I would infact not have a problem of taking a leaf out of many of the older guys of the residence's books.

canetrain.blogspot.com